Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Barley Chicken Chili


I was buying barley at the grocery store and saw this recipe on the back of the box. This recipe turned out really well, although I was disappointed because it tasted a lot like my slow cooker tortilla soup rather than a chili. I really like my tortilla soup recipe, but was in the mood for chili. This recipe was really good though. This recipe has inspired me to create a chili with the added addition of roast chicken, corn and barley. I served cheese quesadillas on the side with the chili.

Notes: I drizzled the chicken breasts with olive oil and salt and pepper and roasted in the oven for this recipe.

Chicken Barley Chili
Source: Quaker

1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, diced, undrained
1 16 oz can tomato sauce or salsa (I used tomato sauce)
1 14.5 oz can fat free chicken broth
1 cup Quaker medium barley
4 cups water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 15 oz can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 15 1/4 oz can corn with peppers (I used Green Giant Mexicorn)
3 cups chicken breast, cooked and cut into bite size pieces (I roasted my chicken)
cheddar cheese
sour cream

In 6 quart saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients over high heat and bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn and chicken, increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until barley is tender. If upon standing the chili becomes to thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency. If desired, top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Makes 11 1 cup servings.

No comments: