Thursday, November 15, 2007

Slow Cooker Braised Sage Chicken and Stuffing


I found this recipe in one of the flyers at Whole Foods. I liked that it was a pretty simple recipe and didn't require lots of ingredients. This recipe turned out really well. I will definitely make it again. This was the first time I put the chicken in the slow cooker frozen and it cooked perfectly. I think I will use that method from now on instead of trying to defrost ahead of time. I used chicken tenderloins instead of thighs but breasts would work well too. I substituted Penzey's poultry seasoning for the fresh sage. I also used the recommend 365 Organic Stuffing. I highly recommend it. It really didn't taste like an instant stuffing. I made the recipe with chicken broth instead of water. You could really dress this stuffing up with apples, etc. I was wanting a simple throw together meal tonight so I made it plain.

Slow Cooker Braised Sage Chicken and Stuffing
Source: Whole Foods

  • 1 organic yellow onion, halved lengthwise and sliced
  • 3 cups Whole Fields™ Organic Petite Carrots
  • 1/2 cup organic chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 clove organic garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 6–8 (1 1/2–1 3/4 pounds) bone-in, skinned chicken thighs
  • 1 tsp 365 Everyday Value™ Paprika
  • sea salt, to taste
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 package (10-oz) 365 Organic Everyday Value™ Stuffing Mix with Cranberries

Place onion in a lightly greased 6-quart crock pot/slow cooker and top with carrots. Combine broth, wine, garlic and sage and pour over vegetables. Generous season chicken thighs with paprika, salt and pepper and arrange on top of vegetables. Cover and cook on LOW heat setting 8 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Prepare stuffing according to package directions and serve.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks soooo good!!

Carrie said...

I am in search of new slow cooker recipes, this will be added to my list :-)