Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Brown Rice with Andouille, Corn and Red Peppers


We are finally getting organized and into the swing of 2009! This recipe has been in my stack of recipes since having it at my in-laws house several months back. I believe the original recipe came from America's Test Kitchen. Below is the recipe as I have adapted it. Its a great dish for a chilly evening and when paired with a salad makes a complete meal.

Brown Rice with Andouille, Corn and Red Peppers
Serves 4 to 6

1 tablespoon olive oil
6 oz Andouille sausage, cut into 1/ inch pieces (I actually used about 9 oz of Han's All Natural Spicy Chicken Andouille Sausage purchased at Whole Foods)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (I used green)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice (I used short grain brown rice)
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped (I used dried)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lemon, cut into wedges

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil and Andouille in Dutch oven over medium heat until Andouille is lightly browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer Andoulle to a paper towel lined plate; set aside. Add onion and cook stirring frequently, until softened and beginning to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Add red pepper and continue to cook until onion and pepper are well browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

2. Add chicken broth and water; cover and bring to a boil. Remove pan from heat, stir in rice, salt and the reserved Andouille sausage. Place double layer of foil over pan and cover with lid. Bake rice for 65 minutes, until tender.

3. Remove pan from oven, uncover and discard foil. Fluff rice with dinner fork. Stir in corn, basil and black pepper; serve passing lemon wedges separately

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

One pot meals involving rice is my kind of comfort food!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, I think my husband would really love this! I may have to try it.