Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One Chicken Three Ways


I love when I can simplify things, make efficient use of ingredients and best of all have three tasty meals while only cooking once! This menu plan was courtesy of the April issue of Everyday Food. I used one whole chicken to make chicken soup, chicken Caesar salad, and a tortilla pie. All were simple and delicious. Better yet, I have several containers of the soup left in my freezer. The magazine had a recipe for an Asian chicken salad but I was in the mood for Caesar so I made my own. I served that Caesar with my goat cheese and tomato tarts. The tortilla pie only took me about ten minutes to prepare and it was delicious. I did have an issue with it falling apart when I first served it hot out of the oven, however, the next day as leftovers, it was firm as shown in the magazine picture. I'm not sure if I should have let it sit before cutting in or made it ahead and allowed it to chill in the refrigerator before reheating. That aside, these recipes will definitely be regulars in our house.

Simple Chicken Noodle Soup

Serves 8

  • 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded
  • 1 pound carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 pound parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  • 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
  • 4 teaspoons coarse salt
  • Cooked wide egg noodles, for serving
  1. In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, parsnips, and onions. Add water to just cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (skim off foam). Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; refrigerate (see note, below). To serve soup, add noodles to broth, and season with salt, if desired.

To store, pull meat from bones, keeping chicken breasts whole and tearing dark meat into bite-size pieces (discard skin and bones). Refrigerate in separate airtight containers for up to 2 days.

Tortilla Pie

Serves 4

  • 12 corn tortillas (6-inch), toasted
  • 2 cups cooked, shredded dark-meat chicken
  • 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
  • 1 1/2 cup Green or Red Salsa (I used green)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (6 ounces)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an 8-inch square baking dish, layer 4 tortillas, 1 cup chicken, cup chiles, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat once. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Bake until top is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes.

Source: Everyday Food, April 2009.


1 comment:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Great ideas. I think I'll try the pie, I have leftover chicken in the frig. Thanks.