Simple Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), giblets and liver discarded
- 1 pound carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 pound parsnips, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Cooked wide egg noodles, for serving
- In a large pot, combine chicken, carrots, parsnips, and onions. Add water to just cover. Stir in salt. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 35 minutes (skim off foam). Transfer chicken to a plate to cool; refrigerate (see note, below). To serve soup, add noodles to broth, and season with salt, if desired.
To store, pull meat from bones, keeping chicken breasts whole and tearing dark meat into bite-size pieces (discard skin and bones). Refrigerate in separate airtight containers for up to 2 days.
- 12 corn tortillas (6-inch), toasted
- 2 cups cooked, shredded dark-meat chicken
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 1/2 cup Green or Red Salsa (I used green)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (6 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an 8-inch square baking dish, layer 4 tortillas, 1 cup chicken, cup chiles, 1/2 cup salsa, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup cheese; repeat once. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Bake until top is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes.