Sunday, April 5, 2009

Stromboli


This is another fantastic recipe from the April issue of Everyday Food. My husband specifically asked me to save this recipe and then wanted to know if he could have the extra one to take for lunch the next day! Definitely a hit! This is another versatile recipe where the ingredient possibilities are endless. As I was making these I wondered what the difference was between a stromboli and a calzone. Thanks to a little Internet research, I found out the two main differences are shape. Stromboli are rectangular and calzones are triangular. Secondly, Stromboli are heavy on the use of mozzarella where as calzones use ricotta and mozzarella. So there you have it! I had a few issues with the frozen dough I used. The one from my natural grocer was flecked with wonderful herbs and had great taste, I just could not get it to defrost or rise well. I followed the package directions, yet my dough was not very pliable. I had to work it with a rolling pin to get it to roll out at all. Next time I use this frozen pizza dough, I think I will defrost it completely overnight and then proof it. Otherwise, I will probably just buy fresh dough from Whole Foods.

Broccoli, Tomato and Mozzarella Stromboli

Serves 4

  • 1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
  • All-purpose flour, for work surface
  • 1 package (1 pound) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (I used Cascadian Farms Organic)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup marinara sauce (I used Newman's Own Organic Marinara Sauce)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (6 ounces)
  • 2 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami, chopped (I used a natural nitrate free salami)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Divide dough into 4 pieces. On a lightly floured work surface, stretch out each piece, first to a 3-by-4 inch oval, then to a 6-by-8-inch oval (let dough rest briefly if too elastic to work with).
  2. Place broccoli in a strainer, and press to remove excess liquid. Transfer to a double layer of paper towels, and pat dry.
  3. Dividing evenly, scatter broccoli over dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle with garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Dividing evenly, top with mozzarella, salami, and 1/2 cup marinara.
  4. Starting at a shorter end, roll up each stromboli, and place, seam side down, on baking sheet. Using the tip of a paring knife, cut two slits in the top of each. Brush with oil. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve stromboli with 1/2 cup marinara for dipping.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore stromboli! Maybe I should pic up that magazine. I've never really looked at it.

Colleen said...

Mmm I haven't looked through this issue yet but this recipe will definitely be bookmarked!