Country Hashed Browns
Serves: 4 to 6
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions, white and green parts
Melt the butter in a large (10 to 12-inch) saute pan. Add the potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally with a flat spatula, until the potatoes are evenly browned and cooked through. (Allow the potatoes to cook for 5 minutes before turning.) Turn off the heat and add the parsley, scallions and ham. Reheat on top of the stove or over a hot charcoal grill.
Cook's Note:You can peel and dice the potatoes early and keep them in the refrigerator in a bowl of cold water. Drain them and dry them well with paper towels before frying.Barefoot Contessa Family Style, Clarkson Potter, 2002.