Friday, September 4, 2009

Crisp Skin Salmon with Fiery Asian Slaw


This recipe was billed in the September 2009 issue of Cooking Light as a super fast meal and it lived up to the hype! I have long avoided coleslaw but recently I tried it again and discovered I really liked it. Since then I have been on a slaw kick. This slaw had great flavor and wasn't really that spicy, but had a nice bite. This was my first time using Sriracha and I can't wait to find more recipes to incorporate this sauce. My only compliant with this meal was I felt like it needed one more side to go with it but couldn't quite decide what a good match would be. Maybe a green vegetable or some bread. My husband gave this one rave reviews. If you need a quick weeknight meal, this one is perfect.

Crispy Skin Salmon with Fiery Asian Slaw

  • 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
  • 1 teaspoon bottled ground fresh ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 (16-ounce) package cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salmon fillets evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add salmon to pan, skin side down; cook 4 minutes. Turn salmon over; cook 3 minutes. Add orange juice to pan; cook 30 seconds or until liquid almost evaporates and fish flakes easily when tested with a fork.

2. While fish cooks, combine rice vinegar and next 5 ingredients (through honey) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and coleslaw; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Serve salmon with slaw.

Source: Cooking Light, September 2009.

10 comments:

Jade said...

I have been looking for a new way to cook salmon. This looks really good!!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Can I just say how amazing this looks? I love all the flavors involved separately and even more so together. Great job and I hope to give this a try soon!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

This looks wonderful. It looks like it took a longer to prepare.

Colleen said...

Love the variations on two of my favorite dishes - salmon and cole slaw!

Kira said...

I just made this too! Turned out so well.

Unknown said...

My husband loves that sauce...(can't remember how to spell it) Sriracha? Anyway, he uses it like ketchup. Fries, eggs, etc.

Anonymous said...

I have been collecting salmon recipes and make one each week. This is a great one to add to t he list. Thanks.

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Come by I have an award for you.

Chris said...

Yum - I am on board with anything that has "Fiery" in the title! The flavors sound fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Genial post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.