Saturday, December 26, 2009

Chocolate Mint Thumbprints


This is a another new Christmas cookie I tried this year. It was a big hit at our Christmas Eve buffet. Next time I'm hoping to find the green Andes candies as was pictured in the recipe book. I also would probably cut them a bit smaller. I found it was easier to use my thumb to make the indention as opposed to the wooden spoon handle recommended in the recipe. I did add the green food color to this recipe, even though I'm not a fan of artificial dyes. I didn't want all of our cookies to be beige! I have found natural food color in Whole Foods, however, I find the color it renders tends to be really off and you would have to add quite a bit which can effect the liquid ratios in your recipe. These cookies would also be fun for St. Patrick's Day.

Chocolate Mint Thumbprints

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
2 egg yolks
16 drops green food coloring
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
3 tablespoons whipping cream
3 tablespoons butter
18 Andes mints, unwrapped, cut in half diagonally

1. Heat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

2. In large bowl, beat 1 cup butter and the powdered sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in peppermint extract, egg yolks and food coloring until blended. On low speed, beat in flour, baking powder and salt.

3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. With your finger, press a deep well into center of each cookie.

4. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Reshape wells with finger. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely; about 15 minutes.

5. In medium microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, cream and 3 tablespoons butter on High 1 minute, whisking frequently until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Fill each well with about 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture; garnish with Andes mint piece. Let stand about 1 hour until chocolate is set.

Source: Adapted from Betty Crocker's Christmas Cookies, Dec./Jan. 2009.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look so special! Hope you had a nice Christmas!

Deborah said...

I wanted to try this recipe when I saw it in the book, but never got to it. Great idea to make them for St. Patrick's day!

Alee said...

Those are so cute! Love them. We're hosting an "It's a wonderful (and delicious!) life" movie/snack night this week, and I will definitely be making these. Thanks!

The Comin Family said...

These look great! I may have to make them this weekend. :) I have an Andes Mint Cookie recipe I should send to you. It is really good to. Our HEB cares them here in their candy aisle.

Yummmm!