Monday, November 10, 2008

Easy Comfort Food


I've been under the weather with a cold this past week and have not really cooked much. Thank goodness for Thai take-out and Pizza delivery! Last night, I decided I wanted to cook but didn't have the energy to go to the store. I remembered this recipe from a recent addition of Kraft Food and Family and luckily I had all the ingredients. This dish was so easy to make and really hits the spot if your not feeling great. Although the recipe is titled fettuccine Alfredo its better likened to a creamy chicken and noodles. It didn't quite have the rich creaminess I expect of an Alfredo dish. The dish was really good nonetheless. Peas or carrots would be a great addition to this dish. I used homemade chicken stock and chicken leftover from making the stock in this dish. Its really nice to have those items frozen on hand, ready for quick use.

Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken

1/2 lb fettuccine, uncooked (I used egg noodles)
1 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (I used cooked chicken leftover from making chicken stock)
1 1/4 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth (I used homemade)
4 tsp flour
4 oz Philadelphia cream cheese, cubed
3 tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
Fresh Parsley for garnish

Cook pasta as directed on package.
Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Add chicken, cook 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet. (I used chicken already cooked so I skipped this step and just added the cooked chicken at the end). Mix broth and flour in same skillet. Stir in cream cheese, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and pepper; cook 2 min., stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens. Stir in chicken.

Drain pasta; place in large bowl; Pour chicken mixture over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese and top with 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley before serving.

Source: Kraft Food and Family, Fall 2008 Issue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comfort food is right! yum yum yum!!

Colleen said...

Hope you are feeling better! This looks like it would do the trick!

Carrie said...

Yum, I love alfredo!!!