Coconut Pancakes with Orange Mango Compote
- 1 1/2 cups chopped, peeled, cored red apple (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped peeled mango (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup chopped orange sections
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 1/3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour or all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
To prepare compote, combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 8 minutes or until fruit is tender. Combine cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water, and lime juice in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into fruit mixture; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
To prepare pancakes, lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours, baking powder, granulated sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Combine coconut milk, fat-free milk, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk (batter will be thick).
Pour about 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet; spread gently with a spatula. Cook 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges looked cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook for 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Serve with the compote.