Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Vanilla Pudding Pops


The cutest, smartest and most adorable two year old on the planet is teething! I'm completely unbiased as you can tell! Thank goodness this is the last time as we are just waiting for those pesky bottom two year molars to come through. Poor guy is having a rough time of it with these. So, I thought some homemade popsicles might just make things a little easier. These vanilla pudding pops from Martha Stewart were really easy to make and I would say they scored a 10 with my toddler! I like being able to make things like this, so I can control the ingredients. There is nothing artificial or unnatural in these popsicles. I highly recommend this popsicle mold from Sur La Table. I'm planning on making some fruit based popsicles once we finish these. These are the perfect accompaniment for our afternoon walk to the park to feed the ducks.

Toddler Friendly Meals:
Italian Baked Chicken and Pastina
Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Three Cheese Macaroni and Cheese
Chunky Chai Spiced Applesauce
Banana Coconut Ice Cream

Vanilla Pudding Pops

Makes 10

  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  1. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually whisk in milk, mixing until ingredients are dissolved. Whisk in egg yolks.
  2. Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until the first large bubble sputters. Reduce heat to low; continue to whisk, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, and immediately pour through sieve into bowl; stir in vanilla.
  3. Divide mixture among ten 3-ounce ice-pop molds. Chill in refrigerator until cool and thickened, about 1 hour. Insert pop sticks, and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours and up to 2 weeks. Run molds briefly under warm water to release pops
Source: Everyday Food.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

You are seriously the best! This has totally been my pregnancy craving!

Melissa said...

I love making those! They use to sell them in the stores, but I don't see them anymore. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

These sound so fun! I might have to pick up a set of molds. I bet my husband would love those.

Colleen said...

So cute! Perfect for summer (if it would ever show up, even spring!)

Cora said...

Congratulations Lucky Winner!
I need your address to send your brand new used cookbook. Email me at coracooksblog@gmail.com
Thanks!