Monday, March 2, 2009

Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffins


I had three bananas sitting on my counter that were quickly getting past their prime. No longer suitable for eating, I was eager to find a quick recipe to use up these bananas. Luckily, Mollie over at Reading, Riting and Recipes provided me with the perfect inspiration and recipe! The original recipe makes banana bread. I made muffins and adjusted the cooking time in half. I was all set to add chocolate chips when I realized I had some cinnamon chips left in my pantry. I thought the cinnamon and bananas would be a great combination. I also added 1 tsp of instant espresso powder to give a little kick to the muffins. These were really good. This is the best banana bread/muffin recipe I have made to date. I highly recommend them!

Other Favorite Muffin Recipes:
Quinoa Muffins
Morning Glory Muffins
Spiced Carrot Muffins


Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffins

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
  • 1/3 cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
  • 1 package Hershey's cinnamon baking chips
  • 1 tsp instant espresso powder
  • Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, and instant espresso powder, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla bean paste; beat until blended. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist. Spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. or muffin pan Bake at 350° for 1 hour (30 minutes for muffins) or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.

Source: Adapted from Cooking Light and Reading, Riting and Recipes.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

Ahhh cinnamon chips - I must find these!

gaga said...

I've never heard of cinnamon chips before. Sounds yummy!