Monday, April 14, 2008

Morning Glory Muffins


I decided to make another batch of muffins this week, since last week's went so quickly! I chose another Cooking Light five star recipe. This recipe did not disappoint. I've had it on my cookbook stand to make for a few weeks and I can only say I'm sorry I didn't make it sooner. My husband loved the apple muffins from last week, but these are definitely my favorite. I feel like I put everything but the kitchen sink in these muffins. The end result was a moist, delicious and healthy muffin. The banana flavor is definitely the most prominent of all the ingredients. The inclusion of the dried dates and pineapple adds wonderful texture and flavor. I'm certain I will be making these on a regular basis. I'm also submitting this recipe to the Tasty Tools blogging event hosted by Joelens Culinary Adventures. I made a few slight changes to the recipe as noted below:


Morning Glory Muffins
Recipe as Adapted from Cooking Light July 2007

Cooking spray
1 cup whole wheat flour (about 4 3/4 ounces)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
1 cup regular oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon wheat bran (I omitted)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used 6 oz Brown Cow Blueberry Fruit on the Bottom Yogurt and add 2 more oz of cream of coconut)
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2)
1 large egg
1 cup chopped pitted dates
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dried pineapple
3 tablespoons ground flaxseed (about 2 tablespoons whole)

Preheat oven to 350°.

Place 18 muffin cups liners in muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray.

Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Make a well in center of mixture. Combine yogurt, banana, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in dates, walnuts, and pineapple. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle evenly with flaxseed. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from pans immediately; cool on a wire rack.

18 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)

CALORIES 186(21% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 0.5g,mono 0.7g,poly 2.8g); PROTEIN 4.2g; CHOLESTEROL 12mg; CALCIUM 42mg; SODIUM 190mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 1.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 35.2g



No comments: