Monday, April 14, 2008

Simple yet Sublime-Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Lemon and Asparagus


I know I've said it before but I just love Martha Stewart's Every Day Food Magazine. I've found more than a few of my favorite recipes in this magazine. I would put tonight's recipe in my top ten favorite recipes. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner but would dress up just as well for easy entertaining. I think Martha Stewart accurately summed it up in her description of this dish as a "one pan wonder." The cooking method produces a wonderful crispy skin on the chicken and the lemon pan gravy is outstanding. I would never have believed such a perfect dish could arise out of so few ingredients. For another one of my favorite Every Day Food recipes, check out my link for Chicken with Mushrooms and Tomatoes. That was another favorite that produced surprisingly wonderful results with only a few ingredients.

Roast Chicken with Potatoes, Lemon and Asparagus
Recipe as Adapted from Every Day Food April 2007

Serves 4

  • 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes, halved
  • 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 package cut-up whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 bunch asparagus (1 pound), trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
  1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place potatoes and half the butter in a roasting pan; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until potatoes are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
  2. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.
  3. Scatter asparagus, lemon, remaining butter, and thyme around chicken. Roast until asparagus is tender and chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 15 minutes. Serve chicken, vegetables, and lemon drizzled with pan juices.



No comments: