Saturday, April 5, 2008

Chocolate Frosting Emergency

I volunteered to make a birthday cake for a friend's surprise party. Based on the rave reviews I got last time I made Ina's Chocolate Cake, I decided that was definitely the recipe to make. The recipe for that cake is located here: Ina's Chocolate Cake. I set out to make the cake and had my first realization, I loaned my friend who was having the birthday the last of my canola oil the day before. I then realized I only had 3 oz of semi-sweet baking chocolate. It started to look like disaster for this cake. Another friend rescued me and loaned me the oil and a package of chocolate chips. Okay, ready to bake. I prepared the cakes and then started on the frosting. I was half way through prepping the frosting when I realize the recipe says you can use any kind of chocolate except chocolate chips because they have stabilizers. I'm not sure what disaster would have befallen the cake but I didn't want to find out. So, on to Plan B (or C) for this cake. I pulled out my trusted Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and found a recipe for Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting that used chocolate chips. The cake was saved and the frosted complemented the cake perfectly. I may even like it better than Ina's recipe. I will definitely use this frosting recipe again. I would also love to try the Chocolatel-Mint Sour Cream variation in the book. The only change I made to the recipe was to add the instant coffee powder that Ina adds to hers.

Again, I forgot to take a picture. We've had a lot going on this week and I have been cooking in a hurry. I will note I garnished the cake with crushed Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies and it was great match. I'm only sorry that I didn't have any cake leftover for breakfast this morning!

Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting
As Adapted from the New Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

1 12 oz package (2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1/2 cup butter
1 8 oz carton sour cream
4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder (I used instant espresso powder)

1. In a large saucepan melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Gradually, add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Dissolve coffee powder in 2 teaspoons of very hot water and mix in to frosting. This frosts the tops and sides of two 8 or 9 inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost at 13x9x2 inch cake). Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator

No comments: