Easy Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
Source: Whole Foods
- 1 1/4 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons evaporated cane sugar (I used regular granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package active dry yeast (.28 ounce)
- 1 cup warm milk (105 to 115°F)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg, room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
Have all ingredients at room temperature to start. In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour with the cane sugar, sea salt and yeast. Add the warmed milk, melted butter and lightly beaten egg. Beat until smooth. Add the unbleached white flour, mixing until fully incorporated. The batter should be smooth. Cover and allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes to one hour.
Meanwhile, lightly spray 12 muffin tins with extra virgin olive oil spray. Set aside.
Once raised, stir the batter down. Spoon even amounts of the dough into prepared muffin tins. Allow this to rise until the dough comes just over the top of the muffin tins, about another 45 minutes to one hour.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Per Serving (112g-wt.): 280 calories (70 from fat), 8g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 4g dietary fiber, 9g protein, 43g carbohydrate, 50mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium