Saturday, July 18, 2009

Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream



I have an ice cream loving toddler in my house. I really think ice cream has become one of his daily food groups! So, what better idea on a hot summer day than for the toddler and I to make our own homemade ice cream. We were originally going to make a honey peach ice cream but some how I grabbed nectarines instead of peaches. So, onto plan B, this blueberry ice cream. This was simple to make as far as ice cream goes. No custard to cook. Although this is an ice cream recipe, the addition of the sour cream adds a tang that could allow this dish to pass for a frozen yogurt. My husband likened the flavors to a berries and cream. We are looking forward to more ice cream creations. This one will no doubt be gone before the weekend is over! Someone remind me though, why I made a toddler purple ice cream!!

Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream

1 cup blueberries - fresh or frozen (if frozen, thaw and drain)
1/3 cup sugar (or more to taste)
pinch of salt
grated zest and juice of 1/4 lemon (or lime as you prefer) or more juice to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup sour cream

Put the blueberries, sugar, salt and lemon zest and juice into a medium nonreactive saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until mixture boils and the berries pop and soften, about 3 minutes.

Turn the berries into a blender and whir until you have a fairly homogeneous puree, about one minute. (It will never be completely smooth, and that's just fine.) Add the heavy cream and sour cream and pulse just to blend. Taste and, if you'd like, add a squirt more lemon juice or a tiny bit more sugar.

Pour the custard into a bowl and refrigerate until it is chilled before churning it into ice cream.

Scrape the chilled custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pack the ice cream into a container and freeze for at least 2 hours, until it is firm enough to scoop.


Source: Baking From My Home to Yours, Dorie Greenspan.


2 comments:

Kanella said...

My nieces have the same disposition to ice cream. At least this has some fruit in it :)Looks very good and I love the color.

Colleen said...

I just got the ice cream attachment for my KA - I will have to try this soon!