Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tomato Pie


Each week I look forward to the Wednesday edition of our local newspaper which contains the food section. Although increasingly smaller than in years past, the food section usually has an interesting article or two and I have found some great recipes over the years. A few weeks ago they ran an article on summer tomatoes and I found this recipe for tomato pie. I have never made nor had tomato pie but it sounded like a perfect way to use up those beautifully ripe and fragrant in season tomatoes. I have since learned tomato pie is a genuinely southern staple. This recipe is so easy to make and a winner for both my husband and myself. I know I've found a good one when it is requested that I add it to our rotation! The best way I can think to describe this is--BLT in a pie shell! This recipe is great for a weeknight dinner or a casual lunch or brunch.

Tomato Pie

1 unbaked (9-inch) pie crust (I used a Wholly Wholesome organic pie shell)


1 (6-ounce) package loose-leaf baby spinach (I used organic mixed greens)


6 ripe Jacksonville or other local tomatoes, sliced horizontally


1 large sweet onion, chopped


12 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used a nitrate, preservative free bacon)


½ cup mayonnaise


2 cups shredded mozzarella (I used a mix of 4 cheeses with cheddar and Monterrey jack)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake the crust for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove crust and increase oven to 400 F.

In the partially baked crust, layer 1/2 of the spinach, 1/2 of the tomatoes, 1/2 of the onions and 1/2 of the crumbled bacon. Repeat with a second layer.

In a small bowl, thoroughly blend mayonnaise and mozzarella. Spread on top of the pie. Bake 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 6 servings.

Source: Dallas Morning News, June 30, 2009.

5 comments:

Cate said...

This sounds rich and savory and delicious! I've never heard of tomato pie, but with bacon, tomatoes, and mozarella I'll definitely try it!

Laura said...

This looks great. I'd imagine the bacon is a wonderful addition!

I'll have to start getting the Wednesday paper. I know my local grocers have their ads in there on Wednesday. I usually wait until Thursday and just look online because I am lazy...but I bet our local food section is great too. Thanks for the tip!

Kanella said...

I have never heard of tomato pie but I will for sure try this when tomato season finally reaches Michigan.

Colleen said...

This looks great - I love things like this for a light dinner or lunch!

Jennifer said...

I have to agree, I mostly buy the newspaper on Wednesdays to get the food articles and recipes. I'm so predictable that way!

I, too, have gotten some really great recipes in years past, although, I have to agree with you, those recipes are getting fewer and farther between!

This recipe looks absolutely delcious!!!!