Thursday, September 13, 2007

BBQ Pork Chops and Smoked Gouda Grits


I was flipping through my Lady and Sons cookbook recently and found this pork chop recipe. It looked so simple I added it to my list of recipes to try. Then a few weeks ago I had dinner at a local restaurant and they served the most delicious smoked Gouda grits. I like grits anyway-its the southerner in me but adding smoked Gouda takes it to a whole different level. Inspired by that meal I searched for the best looking smoked Gouda grits recipe and I think I found it! We really enjoyed both of these dishes. The pork chops had a sweet tangy taste that was a nice complement to the smokiness of the grits. I served this along with Mixed Green Salad with Figs and Goat Cheese and a Peach Gratin which I have posted separately.

Barbecue Style Pork Chops
Source: The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook

6 center-cut pork chops, trimmed of fat
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use canola)
1 14 1/2 oz can whole tomatoes, crushed (I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes that I crushed)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown pork chops in oil. Drain, then place in 13x9 baking dish. Combine remaining ingredients and spoon over chops. Bake for 45 minutes.

Smoked Gouda Grits
Source: www.fuquayinn.com

Note: This recipe makes a huge quantity, I would halve it next time.

6 cups of water or low sodium chicken broth (I used chicken broth)
2 cups milk
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
2 cups uncooked quick cooking grits
1 2/3 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Bring the first four ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan, gradually whisk in grits. Cover and reduce heat, allow to simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese and butter stirring until melted.


No comments: