Saturday, September 8, 2007

Crock Pot Tortilla Soup


Last night I made one of my absolute favorite crock pot recipes, tortilla soup. I love this recipe not only because it is so delicious, but also because I almost always have these ingredients in my pantry and its very easy to throw together. No surprise, this recipe is also from my Southern Living Slow Cooker cookbook. The soup definitely looks better garnished but tonight, we were hungry and I was in a rush to take the picture!

Chicken-Tortilla Soup

Source: Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook

2 skinned and boneless chicken breasts, cubed

1 10 oz package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed

1 large onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, pressed

2 14 oz cans chicken broth

1 10 ½ oz can tomato puree

1 10 oz can diced tomatoes and green chiles

¾ tsp salt

2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp chili powder

1/8 tsp ground black pepper

1 bay leaf

Combine first 12 ingredients in 4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on High 6 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.

Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips and garnish with fresh cilantro.

No comments: