Macaroni RomaSource: Gilmmergal
8 oz. Package elbow macaroni
1 medium onion, diced
1 lbs. Lean ground beef or turkey
1 tsp. sugar
½ tsp. basil
dash of black pepper
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
½ lb. Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup butter
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 ½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. oregano
1 ½ tsp. chili powder
28 ½ oz. can tomatoes
1 pint creamed cottage cheese
2 Tbsp. Butter melted
¼ grated parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni until tender as directed on package. ( I would wait to do this step until after the sauce is done)
- Rinse with cold water, drain thoroughly.
- Melt ¼ cup butter in a deep skillet, add onion and garlic. Cook until transparent.
- Add meat and cook until brown, add seasonings, tomatoes & tomato paste.
- Simmer slowly for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
- Combine cottage cheese and macaroni. Pour a little sauce in a buttered 2 ½ qt. Casserole.
- Top with one third of macaroni mixture, one third of shredded cheese.
- Use last one third of sauce on top.
- Combine melted butter, bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake uncovered in a pre-heated 325° oven for 1 hour.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before servings.