Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ricotta Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Peas and Basil


Finally, I made a Rachael Ray meal in 30 minutes! This is the perfect spring/summer dinner. It takes advantage of all the flavors of the season. To round out the dish I added some sweet Italian sausage. I found this recipe in Rachael Ray's 365 No Repeats. There are several great variations in the book that I also would like to try. It really is a versatile recipe. I know I will be making this again soon.

Ricotta Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Peas, and Basil
As Adapted From Rachael Ray 365: No Repeats

1 pound penne (I used whole wheat)
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I omitted)
1 medium onion (I omitted)
1 cup frozen green peas
A generous handful of fresh leaf parsley, finely chopped (I omitted)
Coarse black pepper
Coarse salt
20 fresh basil leaves, shredded or torn
1 cup halved grape tomatoes (1/2 pint)
1 1lb bulk Italian sweet sausage (I added this to the dish)

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt the water. Cook the pasta to al dente.

Place the ricotta, butter, and Parmigiano in a large bowl.

(I omitted this step) Heat a small skillet over medium. Add the EVOO and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peas and parsley and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.

Drain the pasta. Add to the bowl with the cheeses to melt butter evenly and coat the pasta with the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper. Top with peas, basil, and halved tomatoes. Toss and serve at the table.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks SO yummy - can I have some for lunch, please? :)