Friday, September 19, 2008

Dinner at Craft

Last night was my second opportunity to have dinner at Craft. The previous time was at Restaurant week. I have to say the food was as good as I remembered. The only mistake we made was three of us ordering the same entree. We should have each ordered something different so we could share family style as intended by the Craft concept.

Menu:

Amuse Bouche: Pork Rillette on Toast Point with Tomato Jam.

A
rillette is very similar to pate. According to my research, a rillette is a "highly spiced spread made of meat or poultry (traditionally pork, goose or duck, but also fish and rabbit) that has been cooked in seasoned fat and then shredded or pounded into a paste to be served cold. To season the rillette after it is made, it is commonly placed in ramekins and a thin layer of fat is spread over the top to seal it during a storage and aging period. This meat paste can be served as an appetizer that is spread over crackers or bread." This was really good. The tomato jam added a nice depth to it.

Beef Short Rib & Root Vegetable

I previously blogged about my love of this dish from my last visit. It did not disappoint again. I loved the roasted baby onions served with it. I love the depth of the beef flavor in this dish. Many other short ribs are braised in red wine and that flavor tends to take over the dish. I'm not sure if any wine is used in this dish. I'm guessing they may braise them in an homemade beef stock.

Sides

Roasted Baby Carrots-Had a lovely caramelized flavor from the roasting.
Yukon Gold Puree-These were heavenly. They were very rich and had a perfect smooth and creamy texture.
Stone Ground Polenta and White Cheddar. This was also a hit at our table. It complimented the short ribs well.
Sweet Corn-The corn was creamed and had roasted cherry tomatoes on top. I'm not a big corn fan but I found this one really enjoyable. The corn was deliciously sweet.

Pre-Dessert

Fresh Currants-I wasn't a fan of these. They were very tart.

Dessert

Chocolate Spoon Bread with Espresso Chip Ice Cream. I couldn't resist trying my husband's dessert. This was really good. A very rich chocolate flavor. It was served warm with the homemade ice cream on the side. Definitely the perfect pick for any chocolate lover.

Creamsicle Panna Cotta with Oranges. I so loved the Panna Cotta last time, I had to get it again. This version was a little different than the last but still had that beautiful cream cheese like flavor. This one was infused with vanilla bean and also had an orange syrup. It was accompanied by two beautiful tuile cookies.

Post Dessert

Caramel Popcorn
Mini Tarts with Chocolate Ganache

Both were really good. We couldn't even finish, because we were absolutely stuffed!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still haven't been to Craft! There are just so many fabulous places to eat in Dallas. I need to be a lot richer!