Sunday, September 7, 2008

Marsala Chicken wtih Sage and Cremini


I finally remembered to buy a bottle of Marsala wine when I was out grocery shopping the other day. I knew the first thing I wanted to use it to make was a chicken marsala dish. I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart site and loved that it was quick and easy. This came together very well. My only complaint is that the sauce cooked up really quickly. Next time, I would probably double the sauce. I served this meal with buttermilk mashed potatoes and a fall salad with apples, grapes, mixed greens and walnuts.

Marsala Chicken with Sage and Cremini
Source: Martha Stewart Everyday Food

Serves 4

  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (6 to 8 ounces each)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage, plus more for garnish
  • 1/2 cup sweet Marsala wine
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  1. Place flour in a shallow bowl; season generously with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken, and cook until golden on the outside and opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm (reserve skillet).
  3. Add mushrooms, shallot, sage, and 1/4 cup water to skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until mushrooms are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add wine and cream; simmer over medium-high until slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter; season with salt and pepper.
  4. Top chicken with mushroom sauce, and garnish with sage.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

lol. We totally have all the same cookbooks. I am glad you posted this and now will go bookmark it in my copy to try!

Unknown said...

Chicken Marsala is one of my favorite things!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - the addition of sage sounds great!