Monday, September 8, 2008

Pumpkin Granola Grabbers


I have been wanting to try a recipe out of Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My Home to Yours since I purchased the book. I've seen rave reviews for so many recipes it was hard to choose where to start. It doesn't help that all of the recipes look amazing. Ever since I saw this variation of Dorie's Granola Grabbers using pumpkin granola and cinnamon chips on My Baking Heart, I knew this was the first recipe I had to try. I love anything pumpkin and I was ready to enjoy some fall baking. I made a few changes to this recipe and I have to say, these are the BEST cookies I have ever made. They baked perfectly and they taste spectacular. The best thing about this recipe is all the combinations and variations you can use by changing up the granola, adding different dried fruits, chips and spices. I'm already thinking of new variations including adding pureed pumpkin to the mix next time. These are great recipe if you need to clean out your pantry! A must try cookie and my new favorite!

Granola Grabbers
Source: Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

3 cups granola without fruit (I used Nature's Path Pumpkin Granola that I mixed with pumpkin pie spice)
3/4 cup moist, plump raisins (dark or golden) (I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup salted peanuts (omitted)
1/2 cup slivered almonds (omitted)-I added pine nuts
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut (I used superfine unsweetened)
I added cinnamon chips
1/3 cup wheat germ
1-3/4 sticks (14 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temp
3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup AP flour

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 375F. Line baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.

Put cereal in a large bowl and break up any clumps with your fingers. Add in craisins, peanuts, coconut. Mix together. Cream butter at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes. Add sugars and beat until creamy. Add in egg and salt. Reduce speed to low and slowly add in flour a little at a time until just blended.
Slowly add the cereal mixture and use a spatula to fold it into the cookie batter. Scoop out the cookie dough in 1/2-1oz balls (depending on how big you want the cookies) and arrange on baking sheet about 1-2 inches between each ball. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Repeat with remaining dough.


3 comments:

Colleen said...

yum, i am definitely going to try these with the pumpkin!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'm going to have to try this soon. I keep forgetting to pick up pumpkin for my oatmeal but will pick up extra so I can make this!

Peabody said...

I love you take on these. I am a huge pumpkin girl so these sound great.