Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Party


I hosted a Halloween Party at our house today for our weekly play group. The party was a lot of fun and as always seeing the kids in their costumes is just too cute! I tried Paula Deen's recipe for Spicy Chili and it was a hit. I had none left. I toned down the spice a little using only 1 tablespoon of chili powder instead of two and it had enough of a kick for my taste. The pumpkin cake was really moist and the cream cheese frosting added a really nice flavor. I made mine shaped like a pumpkin and spread the frosting between the two halves. I forgot to get pictures of the food as I was too busy getting cute kid photos! Here is the menu:

Apple Cider
Chips and Guacamole
Vegetables and Dip
Spicy Chili
Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread (I served it as plain cornbread)
Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
Store Bought Cookie Cake

Spicy Chili
Source: Cooking with Paula Deen/Sept/Oct. 2007
  • 1 pound lean ground chuck
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans ranch-style beans
  • 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (15-ounce) can niblet corn, drained
  • 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles

In a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown ground chuck, until beef is crumbly. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.

Stir in beans, tomato sauce, corn, diced tomatoes, and green chiles. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 10 to 12 servings

No comments: