Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Lighter General Tso's Chicken


I saw this recipe on No Slivers Here. I love that she is always trying recipes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food. It gives me a chance to preview recipes I might like! I was just waiting for an excuse to break in my new Martha Stewart Green Pan. I originally went to Macy's intending to purchase a wok and came out with a stir fry pan from the Green Pan collection instead. I love that it is non-stick but environmentally friendly and the sides are deep like a wok. This recipe was fairly simple to make and really flavorful. The only change I would make next time is to add more vegetables. I think water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots or an Asian vegetable mix would be great. Now, I can't wait to use my stir fry pan to try recipes from my Martin Yan cookbook!


Lighter General Tso's Chicken
Source: Everyday Food

Serves 4

  • 1 1/4 cups long-grain brown rice
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
  • 4 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated and peeled
  • 3 tablespoons light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
  • 2 large egg whites
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
  1. In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, remaining 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, and toss to coat.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and set aside (reserve skillet).
  3. Add snow-pea mixture to skillet. Cover; cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet (with any juices); toss to coat. Serve with rice.
Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red-pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh I am going to have to try this, it sounds yummy!

Colleen said...

I am always looking for new ways to try chicken like this! Looks great!

Anonymous said...

Glad you like it! I can't wait to make it again soon.