Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vegetable Casserole


I was really excited when I saw this slow cooker recipe in this month's issue of Better Homes and Gardens. I'm always on the look out for something new and different to make in my slow cooker. Overall, this was a great healthy and hearty meal. I added sausage to mine to make it a complete meal. I used a chicken with spinach and feta but next time I would probably use an Italian sausage. I recently saw a chicken parmigean sausage that I think would be a great match with this. I would also change the recipe next time and include a layer of marinara sauce to add a bit more flavor to the dish.

Vegetable Casserole
Source: Better Homes and Gardens, October 2008
  • 2 19-oz. cans cannellini beans
  • 1 19-oz. can garbanzo or fava beans
  • 1/4 cup purchased basil pesto
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (omitted)
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, crushed (I used a mix of oregano and basil)
  • 1 16-oz. pkg. refrigerated cooked plain polenta cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices (I used a garlic basil polenta)
  • 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
  • 1 8-oz. pkg. finely shredded Italian cheese blend (2 cups)
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup torn radicchio (omitted)

Directions

1. Rinse and drain beans. In large bowl combine beans, 2 tablespoons of pesto, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning.

2. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker layer half of bean mixture, half of polenta, and half of cheese. Add remaining beans and polenta. Cover; cook on low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or on high heat setting 2 to 2-1/2 hours. Add tomato, remaining cheese, spinach, and radicchio. Combine remaining pesto and 1 tablespoon water. Drizzle pesto mixture on casserole. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes. Makes 8 servings.


1 comment:

Colleen said...

Surprise! I have starred this recipe! It looks so cozy!