Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Saucy Barbecue Ribs

As my toddler would say, these ribs were scrumptious! This was another slow cooker recipe I was initially a little hesitant about. Most of the sauce ingredients are far different from my homemade barbecue sauce recipe. However, there was no need to worry, the flavor in these was great and after cooking all day, the meat was falling off the bones. This recipe was very easy to put together, less than 10 minutes. I served this with a side of coleslaw, steamed corn on the cob and dutch oven peach cobbler. This was a wonderful meal to come home to and very little work involved at all. I love my other oven baked rib recipes but this recipe easily holds its own with the oven baked ones. I didn't get a picture of this one the other night. I intended to get one yesterday at lunch, but my husband took all the leftovers for lunch!! I promise more recipes and pictures soon, today though, I'm still recovering from the Paul McCartney concert last night. We were 15 rows back on the floor. Great show and great seats! Now, if only I had this meal in my slow cooker for tonight!

Saucy Barbecue Ribs

4 pounds country-style pork ribs, trimmed
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup apple butter
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoons steak sauce
1 teaspoon course ground pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Cut ribs apart; sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt evenly over ribs and set aside.

Stir together remaining 1 teaspoon salt, chopped onion, and remaining 9 ingredients until blended. Pour half of mixture into 5 or 6 quart slow cooker. Place ribs in slow cooker; pour remaining mixture over ribs.

Cover and cook on Hight 6 to 7 hours. Makes 6-8 servings.

3 comments:

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Yummy ribs and a great concert. Now that's the life.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love these ribs. Country ribs are my favorite. Your toddler is right - they are scrumptious.
Sam

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - those ribs look fantastic!