Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut


My husband and I have decided if we are going to be eating out we only want to eat at local independent restaurants. We are sick of the glutton of chain restaurants in our area and the mediocre food they serve. This past weekend as part of our exploration, we tried a local German restaurant. We were blown away by how terrific the food was and can't wait to go back and try another meal and a beer sampler! I love happening upon great finds like this. Since our local quest began we have already found three new favorites this restaurant included! Its amazing what great places there are if you take the time to look. I 'll be the first to admit I have never been a fan of red cabbage or sauerkraut but the red cabbage served at the restaurant was so delicious I couldn't stop eating it! Inspired by that wonderful meal and a busy schedule that required the use of our slow cooker, I chose this recipe. Admittedly, this is not really an August recipe but better for winter/fall, nonetheless it hit the spot! I will definitely be making this one again. The recipe recommends a variation using pork spareribs and I think I will go that route next time. The only other change I would make to the recipe, is to make sure the meat is on the bottom of the slow cooker. My pork chops got a bit dried out when placed on top of all the vegetables as directed by the recipe. Otherwise, the flavors were great, the sauerkraut was very tender and best of all this slow cooker recipe didn't use any processed ingredients.

Past Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes:

Chili Chicken Tacos
Sausage and Black Bean Soup
Barbecued Beef or Pork
Braised Chicken and Stuffing

Pork Chops with Apples and Sauerkraut

4 pork sirloin chops, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
2 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 16 oz can sauerkraut, drained (I used a refrigerated sauerkraut I picked up at our natural grocer)
2 small cooking apples, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1/2 cup apple cider or apple juice (I used natural apple juice)
1/4 cup catsup
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed (I substituted thyme)

1. In a large skillet brown pork chops on both sides in hot oil.

2. In 3 1/2 or 4 quart crockery cooker place potatoes, carrots, onion, browned pork chops, sauerkraut and apples. In a bowl combine apple cider or apple juice, catsup, and caraway seed; pour over apples.

3. Cover; cook on low heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours. Garnish with snipped fresh parsley if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Source: Better Homes and Gardens, Crockery Cookbook, Meridith Corporation, 1994.


7 comments:

Molly Jean said...

Mmmm, I always wondered what this was like! Every once in awhile I see this recipe surface somewhere and think about making it. Yours looks great!

And good for you to support local business. Besides, you never know what little gems you'll find (just like the German place)!

Michele said...

What a wonderful idea! I would love to find some hidden gems in my area!

Your pork looks fantastic!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Our family feels the same about the chain restaurants. They all taste the same. Pork looks great too!

Donna-FFW said...

I love pork combined with sauerkraut. I love it even better in the crockpot. This recipe would be something Ill try in the winter. Thank you for sharing this!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

We don't eat at chain restaurants unless we have to. We too support the local restaurants. Love German food - wish we had a German restaurant close by. Guess I'll just have to make my own. Your pork looks great.
Sam

Colleen said...

Mmm I need to save this for the fall - when the weather is cooler and I will need quick-prep meals!

Laura said...

I always enjoy a good slow cooker meal. Especially with this heat wave we've been having!