Sunday, July 15, 2007

Slow Cooker Apple Crisp


I finally figured out what to do with my remaining surplus of apples-Apple Crisp. Normally, this is a fall dessert for me but I needed something to make with all the apples and I thought it would complement my dinner of steak and baked potatoes. This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Southern Living Slow Cooker Cookbook. I have made several recipes from this book and all have been delicious and this recipe was no exception. The only thing I'm missing is the vanilla ice cream. I will definitely make this again once fall comes! It will be great for football season.

Apple Crisp

8 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 pounds)
1 1/2 cups all purpose baking mix, divided
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 tablespooons butter, cut into pieces and divided
Vanilla ice cream

Combine apples, 1/2 cup baking mix, 1/2 cup brown sugar, lemon juice and next three ingredients, tossing to coat. Add 3 tablespoons butter. Spoon into lightly greased 5 quart slow cooker.

Combine remaining 1 cup baking mix and remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, cut in remaining 2 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.

Cover and cook on Low 7 1/2 hours or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve with icecream.

Makes 6 servings.

No comments: