Saturday, July 14, 2007

Strawberry Applesauce

I came into about 4 lbs of apples yesterday courtesy of my MIL. I decided to make some applesauce and found this recipe on the food network site. It was really easy (especially considering the apples were already peeled and chopped when I receive them!) and the house smells wonderful while it is cooking. I pureed mine in the food processor because I like a smoother texture. It has a wonderful tart taste to it with just enough sweetness to balance the flavors nicely. I still have another 1-2 lbs of apples left so I'm sure their will be more apple recipes in my blog!

Strawberry Applesauce
Recipe Courtesy of Dave Lieberman

3 pounds McIntosh or other apple of choice (about 9 apples)
10 large frozen strawberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon allspice


Peel, core and slice apples 1/4-inch thick. Place apple slices in a large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until a sauce consistency, about 45 minutes. Use a potato masher, if necessary, to break up any lumps, but leave slightly chunky.

No comments: