Sunday, July 29, 2007

Chicken Stuffed with Pesto and Goat Cheese


I recently tried goat cheese after reading several people rave about it on a cooking board I read. I discovered I actually like goat cheese and more surprisingly my husband did too! I created this recipe after seeing several recipes for chicken stuffed with goat cheese and various other ingredients. After the first time I made this, we declared this recipe a keeper. In the summer when fresh basil is abundant, I like to make my own pesto and keep it frozen in the freezer to have when needed. Last night I served this with Roast Garlic Couscous and Arugula Salad with Tomatoes and Lemon Chive Dressing.

Chicken Stuffed with Pesto and Goat Cheese

4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
Salt and Pepper
1/4-1/2 cup Homemade Pesto (recipe follows)
goat cheese
extra virgin olive oil

1. Season Chicken Breasts with salt and pepper. I use kosher salt.
2. Spread about 2-3 Tbsp pesto on chicken breast and crumble goat cheese over.
3. Roll chicken breast and tuck ends under.
4. Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done.

Pesto
Recipe from the Hay Day Country Market Cookbook

2 generous cups (packed) fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
2 large cloves garlic, crushed with side of knife
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
6 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
6 tbsp freshly grated Pecorino Romano

1. Combine basil, garlic, oil and pine nuts in blender or food processor and blend to form a smooth paste. Stir in cheeses.

No comments: