Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler


As I was planning our menu for this week, I decided to try ribs in my slow cooker. To go along with our barbecue dinner, I wanted an easy dessert. I remembered a Paula Deen recipe for Lady and Son's peach cobbler that I have made several times. When I looked up the recipe in my saved folder, I had apparently saved another dutch oven peach cobbler from Paula Deen. I had all the ingredients for this recipe and it was similar to the other recipe so I went ahead and made this one. My husband and I both really liked this recipe. It equally ties with the other recipe though in both flavor and ease of preparation. It just depends which you are in the mood for! We liked the light fluffy texture of the topping. The cinnamon sugar also adds a nice flavor compliment to the peaches, berries and topping. Both of these cobblers are great easy weeknight desserts. I only wish I had had time to make the homemade vanilla ice cream I had planned to have alongside this recipe!

Favorite Cobblers and Crisps:
Lady and Son's Peach Cobbler
Apple Pear Crisp
Blueberry Raspberry Pecan Crisp
Peach Blueberry Crumble
Slow Cooker Apple Crisp

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler

Ingredients
  • 2 (16-ounce) cans sliced peaches in heavy or light syrup, or in fruit juice, your choice
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries, optional
  • 1/2 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Ground cinnamon

Topping:

  • 2 1/4 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup sugar combined with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; store in an empty spice shaker jar; shake well before each use)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil cooking spray

Drain 1 can of the peaches. Combine both cans of peaches, including the juice from the undrained can, the blueberries, if using, the baking mix, sugar, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Place this mixture into the Dutch oven.

To make the topping: Combine the biscuit mix, sugar, butter, and milk in a resealable plastic bag. Drop bits of dough, using your fingers, on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crusty.


2 comments:

Jessica - The Novice Chef said...

This looks awesome! I love peach cobbler!

Colleen said...

I love that you can put this all together and then pop it in the oven!