Monday, January 14, 2008

Blueberry Pie


A while back I signed up to be a recipe tester for America's Test Kitchen. However, I have been a delinquent tester and not made a recipe in quite some time. When this month's recipe for blueberry pie came, it sounded perfect. I'm not much of a pie baker so I thought I would practice with this one. The pie crust for this recipe was absolutely delicious. The dough was easy to work with and very tender. I'm thinking the addition of the vodka had something to do with this. The bad news is that the filling was not so good. I used frozen blueberries as fresh were not in season. The recipe said this was an appropriate substitution and gave alternate instructions. I'm not sure if the filling would have been different had I used fresh. To me, the filling just had an off potpourri like taste. It will be interesting to see what changes if any they make to the recipe in the July/August issue. This recipe has inspired me to make another pie, I will probably just stick with a Martha Stewart recipe though.



No comments: