Friday, January 4, 2008

Tomato Dill Soup with Chive Biscuits




It seems I have been on a kick making Paula Deen and Ina Garten recipes. I have been flipping through those cookbooks during the holidays and found myself wanting to try many of the recipes. I recently was looking through my Lady and Son's Cookbook and saw this recipe for Tomato Dill Soup. I love tomato basil soup but I wasn't quite certain about this combination of tomato and dill. I did, however, have a large amount of fresh dill to use from making Paula's Savory Salmon earlier in the week. I also managed to have all of the other ingredients on hand so I decided to give it a try. My husband proclaims this is the most delicious soup he has ever had. It was amazing how all of the flavors came together to produce a rich and flavorful soup. To go with the soup, I made Ina's Chive Biscuits, as I also had some fresh chives I needed to use up. The biscuits were surprisingly quick and easy to make. Next time I would probably add some cheddar cheese to give them a little more flavor.

Tomato Dill Soup
Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen

Paula’s Tomato and Dill Soup

1- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes or 3 cups of fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I used canned)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups of chicken stock
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped

In a large pot combine first 7 ingredients. Cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.

Chive Biscuits
Recipe Courtesy of Ina Garten

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 pound (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced
3/4 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup chopped fresh chives or fresh parsley leaves
1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is the size of peas. With the mixer on low, add the half-and-half and beat until just mixed. Add the chives and mix until just combined.

Dump the dough out on a well-floured board and knead lightly into a rectangle 3/4-inch thick. Cut out rounds with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush with the egg wash.

Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops are browned and the insides are firm. Serve warm.



No comments: