Monday, June 23, 2008

Easy Summer Egg Salad Sandwich

I realize I have been neglecting my poor blog this week. Last week was pretty hectic and we ate out a few times so I didn't have anything exciting to post. This week I have several meals planned that hopefully will be blog worthy! Last night I wanted to do a sandwich and with the current tomato issues, BLT's were out. I'm afraid this is going to be the summer of no tomatoes. Inspired by this month's issues of Martha Stewart Living, I decided to do an egg salad sandwich. Instead of the recipe in the magazine, I pulled one from Martha's website. We really enjoyed this recipe. It was a lot different than my usual recipe. I liked the flavor combinations and the simplicity of the dish. I would have never thought to use Old Bay in egg salad, as its more traditionally used to season seafood dishes. I served this on a Spelt Bread I purchased at Whole Foods. When toasted it comes out like a sour dough. Perfect for an egg salad sandwich. I also added some arugula leaves. To accompany this meal, we had a bowl of tomato soup. Note, the recipe only makes enough for one so you have to adjust accordingly.

Southern Egg Salad
Source: Martha Stewart

Serves 1

  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 1 small shallot, minced
  • 2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish, or chopped pickle
  • 1/8 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 2 slices dark bread, such as multigrain or pumpernickel carrot sticks, for serving (optional)
  1. Place eggs in a small saucepan, and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil; immediately remove from heat, and cover. Let stand 12 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, shallot, relish, and Old Bay Seasoning. Peel eggs; coarsely chop, and fold into mayonnaise mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Top one slice of bread with egg salad and remaining slice of bread. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic and refrigerate, up to overnight. Serve with carrot sticks, if desired.


1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Sounds like the recipe was a hit! I plan on making egg salad this week so your blog post came right in time :)