Monday, June 16, 2008

Italian Grill

We were were really looking forward to having a family get together at our house for Father's Day. We were even more excited to try out our new grill. When planning the menu, I wanted something a little fancier than burgers. I was flipping through Giada's Family Dinners cookbook and instantly new I had found my menu. True to form these recipes were great. The meal was a great combination of the best summer flavors. We had a wonderful dinner with family and everyone left very full! A great day all in all. As an added bonus, I will definitely be making all of these recipes again.


This bread was simple to prepare. I purchased a really nice loaf of Ciabatta at a local market. Rubbing the warm bread with the fresh garlic gives it a great flavor. This would be a great accompaniment to any meal.



Grilled Bread

I served this dish as a side dish but it would be great as an appetizer or even a main dish. I substituted canned tomatoes for the fresh due to the current issues with fresh tomatoes. If you use canned just rinse them and drain well.



Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Tomatoes and Mozzarella


I wasn't sure how flavorful this dish was going to be, but it was a show stopper. It also couldn't be easier to make. I prepped the gremolata earlier in the day to allow the flavors to marinate more. The herbs and lemon really give a nice fresh flavor to the chicken and an added plus it makes a nice presentation.



Grilled Chicken with Gremolata

Source: Giada's Family Dinners

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano

1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic

1 teaspoon olive oil

4 boneless chicken breasts halves

salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, combine the parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, lemon zest, oregano, and garlic. This is the gremolata, set it aside.

Rub olive oil over both sides of the chicken, season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high grill for about 5 minutes per side. ( Serve with the gremolata over the top.


Artichoke Rice Pilaf

I used a box of Near East Rice Pilaf and added chopped canned artichokes.

Salad
Romaine Hearts
Pine Nuts
Shaved Parmesan Cheese

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a gorgeous meal! I love everything on the menu! Great ideas!