Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Refrigerator Cookies


I mentioned in my last post how excited I was about my new Bob's Red Mill Baking Book. The first recipe I chose to make from this book was the Oatmeal-Raisin Refrigerator Cookies. I promise, I have made more than cookies in the past few weeks! I intended to blog about a new crock pot recipe I was trying yesterday, but it ended in disaster. Somehow my crock pot lid slipped out of my hand and dropped back into the pot. The lid broke and I got glass in my crock pot. Not a happy cooking moment. On the bright side I will either be able to replace my lid or I can get the new All Clad crock pot I have been eying! Back to the cookies, these are an overnight cookie so they take some advance planning. I made a few changes to the recipe, I omitted the walnuts and I substituted agave syrup for the fructose. I also used a thicker oat that was whole grain. Overall taste wise I really liked these cookies. I thought they could use a bit more sugar though. Next time, I will either try using the sugar or a combination of agave and sugar.

Oatmeal Raisin Refrigerator Cookies
Source: Bob's Red Mill Baking Book

Makes Approximately 32 Cookies

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup fructose or 1 1/4 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup agave)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup walnuts, chopped (omitted)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an amazng idea! I LOVE oatmeal raisin!

bethanyjg said...

Yay! I love oatmeal cookies. I love that you used agave too.

You should get the new all-clad crock pot. :)