Sunday, May 3, 2009

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake


I absolutely love this cake. I could eat the filling all by itself but the goodness is only compounded when you add chocolate cake! If you don't want to use cake mix, I highly recommend this chocolate cake recipe for the base. As much as I love this recipe, I made several ingredient changes in order to make it a less processed end product. To take the processed ingredients out of this recipe I recommend using an organic cake mix or making the chocolate cake. I substituted Tru Whip for the Cool Whip. Tru Whip is an all natural whipped topping. Tru Whip can be found at Whole Foods or any natural grocer. I find it comparable in taste to Cool Whip, if not better because it does not have a weird artificial taste to it. I also substituted Country Choice Organic Sandwich Cremes. If you can't find those Newman-O's are another good choice. The only other change I would make next time is to use a chocolate ganache recipe or chocolate frosting on top as opposed to the melted chocolate. The melted chocolate hardened on top of the cake once refrigerated, making it difficult to serve/eat without leaving it at room temperature. Now I think I need this cake pan just for this recipe!

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Cake

1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 squares BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping (I used TruWhip)
12 OREO Cookies, coarsely crushed (I used Country Choice Organic Sandwich Cremes)

HEAT oven to 350ºF.

PREPARE cake batter and bake in 2 (9-inch) round pans as directed on package. Cool cakes in pans 10 min. Invert cakes onto wire racks; gently remove pans. Cool cakes completely.

MICROWAVE chocolate and butter in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Cool 5 min.

MEANWHILE, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl with mixer until blended. Gently stir in COOL WHIP and crushed cookies. Stack cake layers on plate, spreading cream cheese mixture between layers. Spread top with chocolate glaze; let stand until firm. Keep refrigerated.

Source: Adapted from Kraftfoods.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This does look just great. You are totally right about the new W-S cake pan -- that will take this up another notch!

Jenn said...

Ha I love it, it's totally a cute creative cake!