Friday, May 29, 2009

Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables


This was the first recipe I saw when I was flipping through the June issue of Everyday Food. I immediately knew I was going to try this one and I'm glad I did. This took me less than 30 minutes to make start to finish. The sauce is really not made of complex ingredients but has a great depth of flavor that makes it seem like you really went out of your way to make a homemade sauce. I loved the fresh vegetables in this. I will definitely be making this again.

Gnocchi with Summer Vegetables

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 zucchini or summer squash, or one of each (about 2 pounds total), quartered and sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 package (15-16 ounces) frozen gnocchi (I couldn't find frozen, I used a regular package from the grocery store shelf)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add squash and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally until squash is crisp tender, 4-5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally until juicy, about 2 minutes.

2. Meanwhile in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook gnocchi according to package instructions. Reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid, drain gnocchi and transfer to skillet. Toss gnocchi adding enough cooking liquid to create a sauce. Remove from heat and stir in basil, cheese, butter and lemon juice.

Source: Everyday Food, June 2008.

6 comments:

Ellie said...

The hubs and I are loving gnocchi lately - what a great recipe with all the veggies and herbs!

Kira said...

This is the 2nd post of this recipe I've seen, and it looks SO good. This will be on the menu soon!

Colleen said...

Glad to hear that you liked this - I need to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great recipe and so versatile! I am sure you could just swap out whatever fresh veggies you have on hand if needed. I will definitely be trying this one soon!

Cora said...

I'm crazy about gnocchi but never thought about mixing with vegetables. Wonderful idea for great summer dinners. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

So, are the frozen gnocchi good? I've tried to make them from scratch and they sucked.