Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Oven Fried Chicken


I've seen many oven baked fried chicken recipes floating around and was skeptical that any would be more than breaded baked chicken. Good? Yes. Exciting? No. In any way comparable to real fried chicken? Highly unlikely. I'm very biased when it comes to fried chicken. My Mom makes the very best. So last night I attempted this recipe but did not hold high expectations. Oh how very wrong I was! The chicken was moist and flavorful and the coating was crunchy enough to evoke memories of real fried chicken. This one is a keeper and its low fat!

Oven Baked Fried Chicken

Serves 4

  • 1 whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces, wings reserved for another use (I just used breasts)
  • 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 6 slices whole-wheat bread
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

  1. Using a paper towel to grip, remove skin from chicken. In a large bowl, toss chicken with buttermilk, garlic, 2 teaspoons salt, and teaspoon pepper. Marinate at room temperature 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a food processor, pulse bread until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and toss with oil. Bake crumbs until golden brown, 8 to 12 minutes, tossing twice. Transfer to a large bowl. Set a wire rack over sheet.
  3. Working with one piece at a time, lift chicken from buttermilk mixture (letting excess drip off) and dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere. Transfer chicken to rack.
  4. Bake, without turning, until cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil if browning too quickly.

Helpful Hint: Baking the chicken on a wire rack keeps the bottom of the pieces from becoming soggy. For spicier chicken, add a few shakes of hot sauce to the buttermilk.

Source: Martha Stewart Everyday Food, May 2009.


5 comments:

Kanella said...

I am always looking for new ways to handle chicken since it tends to dry out to quickly. I bet the buttermilk gives it a bit of tang.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - nothing like buttermilk chicken, which is even better oven fried!

Jennifer said...

Sounds great! My mom soaked her chicken for frying in buttermilk overnight - will definitely have to try this recipe. Great tip on the wire rack - I'm trying that on my oven fried pork chops right now - hope it helps!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

My MIL who has 11 children always baked her chicken. I've been afraid to try but maybe I should now.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love a good fried chicken too. This sounds like a terrific recipe. I know that the buttermilk makes the chicken moist and helps with making the crust. I've got to give this one a try.
Sam