Sunday, July 13, 2008

Adventures in Pickle Making!






I've never canned anything before in my life. I must admit, I have always been some what fascinated with the process but too nervous to try it alone. My Mother-in-Law had a tremendous crop of pickles this year and was nice enough to invite me over to learn about canning. We had a lot of fun making these pickles. Here are some pictures of the process. We used mixes to make both bread and butter pickles and dill pickles, so I don't have a recipe to share. I think we must have made 10-15 jars. There were still more cucumbers left to be used. I'm betting we could have made another 10 jars! I had some serious pickle cravings when we were done! I think the hardest part about canning, is you have to wait 4-6 weeks to taste these. They looked and smelled delicious, so hopefully our efforts paid off. I'm working on some personalized labels for the jar to complete the process. If you have any thoughts on a fun name, let me know! Hopefully, our next project will be to make pumpkin pies from scratch from the beautiful sugar pumpkins growing in her garden.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

How fun! I haven't had much canning experience/exposure but it seems like a fun way to have something to look forward to!