Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Double Dutch Chocolate Fudge Upside-Down Cake

Yesterday, I was preparing to cook dinner, which didn't involve much since I was only popping a meatloaf I had previously frozen into the oven. I steamed some broccoli and threw together some mashed potatoes, not much challenge. Then it hit me that I really wanted something chocolate! I grabbed my Lady & Son's Cookbook and found this Double Dutch Chocolate Fudge Upside-Down Cake. One of the things I really love about Paula Deen's books is that I can always find a recipe that uses ingredients I have on hand. This recipe was very simple to throw together. I was a little skeptical about how this would turn out when I saw the layer of hot water sitting on top of the cake. However, when it was done baking, the cake had risen to the top and there was a decadent gooey hot fudge layer beneath. I don't have a picture of this one, because although it was absolutely delicious, it was not much of a looker for photography purposes! I didn't make the whipped cream to go on top and I think that would have made it more photogenic along with some fresh mint and a raspberry. This dish can definitely be dressed up for a dinner party or go for a casual weeknight meal.

Double-Dutch Chocolate Fudge Upside-Down Cake
Source: The Lady and Sons II

Serves 8-10

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar, divided use
2 tablespoons, plus 1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided use
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup of the granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons of the cocoa powder, the baking powder, and the salt. Add the milk, the oil, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla, and stir until blended. Stir in the nuts,if using. Pour the batter into a greased 9x13-inch pan.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar with the 1/4 cup cocoa powder; stir well. Spread this mixture over the batter in the pan. Using a large spoon, drizzle the boiling water over the cake; do not stir. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top of the cake is firm. Let the cake cool slightly. Meanwhile, whip the cream with the remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Cut the cake into squares and place them upside down (gooey side up) on dessert plates. Spoon a dollop of whipped cream onto each piece of cake.

1 comment:

The Comin Family said...

This sounds like heaven!! I will be trying this one soon... if not tonight!!