Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rustic Nectarine and Blackberry Crostata


I've been wanting to try a crostata recipe for a while. A crostata is basically a free form pie that originated in Italy. The rustic nature of this dessert appealed to me. Blogging about this recipe is challenging for me. My husband and I critiqued it after eating it and both agreed that it was good, pleasant, just not exciting. My husband thought he preferred a traditional pie with double crust better. I thought it was a good solid dessert but didn't reach the level of exceptional that I had hoped for nor that was given by the reviewers at epicurious.com. I''m thinking Ina's Chicken (see below post) was a hard act to follow! The crust was different from other recipes I have seen by virtue of the addition of polenta. The end result was a much thicker crust than a typical pie crust. The orange rind added nice subtle flavor to the crust. I think with some tweaking this recipe could be really amazing. A crostata is a wonderful addition to any dinner or brunch. The great thing about a crostata is that you can change it up to take advantage of whatever fruits are in season. I'm looking forward to trying an apple crostata this fall. For those that are interested, here is a link to the recipe:

Rustic Nectarine and Blackberry Crostata

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

That looks fabulous! I love the combo of peach and blueberries, so I'm sure this tastes awesome too!