Sunday, July 27, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

I saw this post about Blueberry Pancakes and pancake making phobia the other day on the Smitten Kitchen. I knew I wanted to try this recipe, especially since I had both blueberries and buttermilk to use. I will admit I have issues with making pancakes. Its one of those short order items I just haven't mastered. What better way to start a Sunday morning then a plate of piping hot homemade blueberry pancakes? I figured since I have French Toast down now, I would try pancakes again. I have to say the recipes is called the Best Buttermilk Pancakes and they were right! These were the best tasting homemade pancakes I have ever made. The only pancakes that rival these are the delicious pancakes I had at Kirby Lane in Austin, Texas. I will definitely use this recipe again. Unfortunately, I still haven't mastered pretty when it comes to pancakes, so I just couldn't photograph them! You could say my pancakes were rustic. At least they were all in one piece! My process is coming along though. I think my next step is to purchase a griddle so I can better regulate the temperature and make more pancakes at a time. If you have any recommendations for a good griddle, let me know. Hopefully, I will be able to update soon with a picture of some beautiful pancakes! Note, I halved the recipe and it was plenty for us.

Best Buttermilk Pancakes

Source: Martha Stewart's Original Baking Classics as adapted by the Smitten Kitchen

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or slightly less table salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon extra for brushing griddle

1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen and thawed (optional)

1. Preheat an electric griddle to 375°F, or place a griddle pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons melted butter, and whisk to combine. The batter should have small to medium lumps.

2. Test the griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If the water bounces and spatters, the griddle is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush the remaining 1/2 teaspoon butter onto the griddle. Wipe off the excess with a folded paper towel.

3. Using a 4-oz. ladle, about 1/2 cup (for a 6-inch pancake), pour the batter in pools 2 inches apart. If you wish to make blueberry pancakes, arrange a handful over the cooking pancake, pressing them in slightly. When the pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around the edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. If any batter oozes or blueberries roll out, push them back under with your spatula. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.

4. Repeat with the remaining batter. You can keep the finished pancakes on a heat-proof plate in the oven at 175°F. Serve warm.


1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I need to make pancakes soon. I've been craving them since last weekend but haven't had a chance to make them!