Thursday, July 24, 2008

Smoked Salmon Spread


What can I say? Another wonderful recipe by Ina. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this weeks Barefoot Blogger pick of Smoked Salmon Spread by Ashley at the Spicy Skillet. I love smoked salmon and the recipe sounded good, but my husband wasn't as enthusiastic. I probably should have made this for Fourth of July and served it then but I wasn't thinking that far ahead! I thought about trying this out on some friends, but my little one has been sick so we have been in quarantine! What to do? Halve the recipe and eat it with fresh crudites for lunch! It was the fanciest lunch I have ever made for just myself. I'm glad I got the chance to try this recipe. I would certainly want to make it for a party. It would be a nice accompaniment to a brunch menu but would dress up well for a fancy dinner party. It also takes only about 5-10 minutes to make and can be made ahead. I really liked the suggestion of several of the Barefoot Bloggers who recommended serving this inside cherry tomatoes or with sour dough baguettes. Ina would be proud! I can truly say I have been having so much fun participating in the Barefoot Bloggers and getting to try recipes that I might have skipped otherwise. Check back next week for the bonus recipe of Couer a la Creme. I can't wait to use my new molds. I've heard this one is a winner too!

Smoked Salmon Spread
Source: Barefoot Contessa Family Style and Foodnetwork.com

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained (Mine did not need to be drained)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

If you can find it, Ina recommends Norwegian salmon; it's drier and less salty than other smoked salmon.


1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks like a perfect consistency... and an elegant way to serve up salmon.